Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756–1791) “Schon lacht der holde Frühling” KV 580
Aria – Completion of the Fragment arranged by Franz Beyer [S,orch] duration: 8'
solo: S – 0.0.2.2. – 184.108.40.206. – str
The "Köchel" still lists the autograph to Mozart’s beloved aria but has labeled it "missing" since 1964. The "Neue Mozart-Ausgabe" was thus no longer able to take it into consideration. Now, however, the manuscript has reappeared and has been used as an authentic source for this new edition (1997).
Please select the desired products and click "Add to Cart"
"Eine Aria in die Oper, der Balbier von Seviglien. für Madme Hoffer. 2 Violini, viole, 2 Clarinetti, 2 Fagotti, 2 Corni e Baßi. Schon lacht der holde Frühling." This entry in Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's handwritten work catalogue is found under the date 17 September 1789. However, since the projected performance of a German arrangement of Paisiello's Barbiere was apparently abandoned, Mozart seems to have put aside the piece without finishing it. Josepha Hofer (nee Weber), Constanze Mozart's youngest sister, was to have sung this aria, intended for Rosina. As a member of Schikaneder's Freihaustheater, she sang the Queen of the Night at the first performance of the Magic Flute.
In addition to the vocal part, the fragmentary score contains only the bass line as well as instrumental cues for a future orchestration. The editor's orchestrally supplemented version, issued by the same publisher, is based on the autograph preserved in the Österreichische Nationalbibliothek in Vienna. This autograph was rediscovered only in 1988. We pursued our endeavor to provide a Mozartian sound in the instrumental completion of the score while preparing this arrangement for soprano, clarinet and piano. Since the first clarinet repeatedly weaves around the soprano part in thr orchestral version, it seemed perfectly natural to producc the present arrangement. Moreover, it will inevitably bring to mind Franz Schubert's Der Hirt auf dem Felsen (same key, middle section in G minor).
We wish to thank the Österreichische Nationalbibliothek in Vienna for putting copies of the source at our disposal.
Munich, Spring 1997